Science and technology are constantly evolving at a rapid pace. Our expectations for cell phones, the internet, our cars, and even medicine are on the rise because of the amazing advancements that happen all the time. This is good news for plastic surgery patients, as progress in surgical techniques and technology are also bringing better and safer results. Women considering breast augmentation in Lubbock can benefit from these trends in several different ways. Whether your breasts have lost volume after pregnancy and breastfeeding, are asymmetrical, or are just smaller than you’d like them to be, you can choose from a variety of options to tailor your procedure to meet your individual goals.
Women’s breasts are all unique, as are our tastes and preferences. An implant that appeals to one woman may not be well-suited for the next. Saline, silicone gel, and the new IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implants each offer a different choice for women considering their implant options for breast augmentation in Lubbock.
- Saline – Breast implants filled with a sterile saltwater solution called saline have been used for breast enhancement since 1964. They are approved by the FDA for women 18 and older. Saline implants have long been considered the “safe” choice for breast implants since saline is harmless to the body and can be absorbed in the event of implant leakage. The major drawback to these implants lies in their viscosity. Saline implants are similar to a water balloon in the way they feel. Many women dislike the resulting unnatural look of their surgical results, but are willing to compromise so they don’t have to worry about the concerns that come with silicone gel.
- Silicone Gel – Silicone gel breast implants come in many shapes and sizes and are FDA-approved for women 22 and up. Patients undergoing breast augmentation in Lubbock often prefer them over saline implants because they look and feel more natural. The silicone gel inside the implant has a softer touch that resembles real breast tissue. While many women choose these implants, they do so with the risk of silent rupture. When a silicone gel implant breaks or leaks, there are no visible signs. The only way to know whether a silicone gel implant is fully intact is through routine MRI screenings. If silent rupture occurs, silicone gel can leak out into other areas of the body where it can be difficult to remove.
- IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implants – The IDEAL IMPLANT is a new alternative to saline and silicone gel breast implants. It combines the best of both implant types by offering the soft, natural feel and look of silicone gel with the peace of mind of saline. The IDEAL IMPLANT is filled with saline and has a structure made of chambers and shells inside to give it the firm shape that women can’t get with regular saline implants. The structure prevents the implant from buckling, rippling, and wrinkling, which are common problems associated with saline implants.
The risk of rupture is lower with the IDEAL IMPLANT than with silicone gel implants, but if it were to happen, you would be able to tell right away. The outer chamber would deflate, and you could look in the mirror and know immediately that your implant was not intact. The issue would be purely aesthetic, however, as the saline that could escape is completely harmless.
Getting the Size Just Right
Women considering breast augmentation in Lubbock know that one of their most important decisions is about size. You might start out thinking you want a certain cup size, but that could differ greatly from what you want your actual breasts to look like. Breast volume does not necessarily equal cup size. Your doctor can help you decide which final size would look best on you.
- 3D Imaging – This new technology is helpful for patients who want to virtually “try on” different breast implant types and sizes. The software uses photos from different angles of the patient’s body to create a computer generated model. This method allows you to see what you might look like post-surgery, but does not give you an accurate idea of what your new breasts might feel like.
- Rice Bags – Many plastic surgeons recommend their breast augmentation patients try on bags of rice inside their bra to get a good idea of what bigger breasts might feel like. Buy a bra in a size you think you might like to wear after surgery and use bags of rice to fill out the extra room in the bra. Wear the rice bra around for a day or so to get a realistic feel for augmented breasts.
- Before and After Photos – Plastic surgery websites have plenty of before and after images of breast augmentation patients. Browsing these photos can help you decide what size and shape you prefer for the outcome of your breast augmentation in Lubbock. You will get a more realistic expectation of your results if you look at women whose build is similar to yours; even with the same size implants, a woman with a slender frame and narrow chest will look very different than one who is more stocky with a wider chest.
Visit Dr. Jane Rowley for Your Breast Augmentation in Lubbock
With modern advancements in technology, it is easier than ever to get the results you want from your breast augmentation procedure. Choosing the right plastic surgeon will also greatly impact your satisfaction with not just your outcome, but your entire experience. Dr. Jane Rowley is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has been performing breast augmentation for more than 20 years. She has the experience and expertise her patients need to achieve exceptional results. If you are ready to explore your options for breast augmentation in Lubbock, call our office today to schedule a no-obligation consultation.