Do you remember the last time you looked in the mirror and thought how great and perky your breasts looked? Maybe it was before you had children. Perhaps it was before you lost weight. Or perhaps you have never felt that way about your breasts. Your breasts should help you feel beautiful and feminine, not embarrassed or self-conscious. Many women deal with too little or too much volume, sagging, and other breast issues. With the help of a skilled board-certified plastic surgeon, you can have the breasts that help you feel more confident when you look in the mirror.
What Is Mastopexy?
Mastopexy, more often called a breast lift, is a surgical procedure that corrects sagging and drooping of the breasts. The removal of extra skin and breast tissue allows your breasts to sit in a higher position. The nipple is also moved up to sit higher on the breast to help with forward projection and give you a perkier bust.
If you are unsure if mastopexy is right for you, a simple test you can do at home can offer more insight. Place a pencil horizontally under the crease of your breast. If the pencil stays put when you let go, you may have enough sagging for a lift. If your answer is yes to any of the following questions, you may want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of a lift for your breasts.
- Do your nipples point down instead of forward?
- Are you unhappy with how much your breasts sag or droop?
- Do your nipples sit below the crease of your breasts?
- Are your breasts different sizes?
- Are your breasts long, flat, or pendulous?
Pairing a Breast Lift With Other Procedures
Sometimes a lift is all that is needed to fix what bothers women about their breasts. But, if you want to add volume or reduce your bust size, you should consider having breast augmentation or a reduction to achieve those results. A lift alone will not change the size of your breasts by much.
- Breast Augmentation – Breasts that sag and lack the volume you want can be transformed by combining mastopexy with implants. After having these two procedures done together, your breasts will be fuller, perkier, and have more forward projection.
- Breast Reduction – If your breasts are too big for your liking or cause your upper body pain, reducing their size can bring much-needed relief. A breast reduction is almost always done with a lift because the surgeries complement each other to provide a more proportionate and shapely bust.
Options For a Mommy Makeover
We love our babies and would do anything for them, but that does not mean we love all the effects childbearing has on our bodies. The breasts begin to sag, deflate, or balloon up. The tummy, after being stretched to the limit, often has a hard time recovering. Loose skin, separated abdominal muscles, and stubborn fat are common problems for women who have gone through pregnancy and childbirth. A breast lift is a popular procedure for mothers to choose when they are finished having children. Other procedures often included in a mommy makeover are:
- Liposuction – Even when you see your pre-baby weight on the scale, your body still may carry areas of fat that is resistant to diet and exercise. Liposuction targets these specific spots and gets rid of the fat to reveal and enhance the natural beauty of your
- Tummy tuck – Abdominoplasty, or a tummy tuck, has dramatic effects on the abdominal area. Loose skin and fat are removed, and ab muscles are tightened to give you a flat, lean stomach. Although it is not a substitute for healthy eating and exercise, a tummy tuck removes the flabby skin, so many of us seem to gain after pregnancy.
It is not easy to feel confident in your appearance when you no longer fill out the bras you wore before you had children. It is not fun to carry around heavy, attention-getting breasts around all the time. Sagging breasts do not often help us feel beautiful or feminine. A breast lift can restore a youthful, perky look to your breasts and make your confidence soar. Remember to consider the following when deciding to undergo mastopexy:
- Decide if you need the procedure. Ask yourself the right questions and even do the pencil test at home to see just how much sagging you have.
- A lift will not make your cup size go up or down. If you want to add or take away breast volume, talk to your doctor about breast augmentation or reduction in conjunction with mastopexy.
- You may be correcting problems with your breasts caused by having children. If you have other areas that would benefit from cosmetic surgery, a mommy makeover might be a convenient way to achieve your results.