Most plastic surgery patients end up healthy and happy with their results—but those aren’t the stories that make news headlines. Hearing about the less than ideal experience of some unfortunate patient should not deter you from pursuing plastic surgery in Lubbock. If you are willing to do your homework and can commit to being an informed patient, you can minimize your risk of having a negative experience. The most important factor for a successful outcome is to find the best doctor available for the surgery you are considering. We all want to know we are in good hands, but do you know how to go about selecting the right surgeon?
The Importance of Board Certification
Board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is a must. The government doesn’t require doctors to be experienced or specifically trained in all of the procedures they may be offering. Beware of doctors who call themselves “cosmetic surgeons,” because any doctor who does cosmetic procedures can advertise themselves as such. A general surgeon won’t have the training or skills specifically needed for cosmetic plastic surgery procedures. Finding yourself in the hands of an inexperienced surgeon can increase the chances of your dissatisfaction with the results of your plastic surgery in Lubbock. Don’t be afraid to ask questions that will give you a better idea of the experience and training the doctor has, such as:
- Where did you go to school?
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- What additional training have you received?
- How long have you been performing the procedure?
- What complications have you come across with this procedure?
- Will the surgery take place in an accredited facility?
Shop Smart for Plastic Surgery in Lubbock
Plastic surgery is not the time to go bargain shopping for your procedure. If you find a doctor offering deep discounts, it could be a sign of limited experience or cutbacks on quality staff members. You get what you pay for—and you don’t want to skimp when it comes to your health or your appearance. This is not to say you need to choose the most expensive plastic surgeon, but It will take work on your part to ensure you are getting the best care from the best plastic surgeon. Lubbock doctor reviews can be a great place to start. Get the opinion of nurses and healthcare workers, and schedule a consultation visit before you decide on the physician that’s right for you.
Know What to Expect During Recovery
Coming out of surgery without knowing what to expect can be a scary experience. Your body will need time to heal, time for swelling to go down, and time before plastic surgery results are fully seen. Your doctor will have recommended post-surgery recovery plan. Being prepared for the recovery period before your surgery will help you heal better. To be better informed about your recovery, consider asking these questions and any others you may have:
- How long will my recovery take?
- How long before I will see my full results?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- What if I have concerns after my procedure?
- What will my scars look like long-term?
- Is there anything I can do to aid or speed up recovery?
Follow Your Personal Feelings
It’s important to feel comfortable with your doctor and the staff. Visit their office and get to know who will be taking care of you. Trust your gut when it comes to finding the best plastic surgeon. Lubbock patients should also remember that beauty is often in the eye of the beholder and can mean different things to different people. Make sure that you and your doctor are on the same page so that your cosmetic goals are understood and surgical expectations are realistic.
Plastic surgery involves many important and very personal decisions. Putting forth the extra effort to be a well-informed patient can pay off big in the end by maximizing your chances for great results. When you are mapping out your cosmetic goals, be sure to consider these factors:
- Board-certification: any doctor can claim to be a cosmetic surgeon. Be certain that yours is board-certified, well-trained, and experienced in your procedure.
- Just say no to bargain shopping: it might work for some things, but your health and cosmetic results are not worth risking to save a few extra bucks.
- Plan for recovery: there should not be any surprises during your recovery period. Educate yourself by asking questions prior to surgery day.
- Listen to your gut: If something feels off during your consultation appointment, trust the feelings you have. Find a surgeon with whom you can communicate clearly.
At Rowley Plastic Surgery in Lubbock, you have the opportunity to work with a board-certified surgeon with over twenty years experience in the field of plastic surgery. Dr. Jane Rowley strives to carefully consult with each patient for the best possible results. Contact Rowley Plastic Surgery today to schedule your no-obligation consultation.