The phrase “plastic surgery” seems to bring up a variety of emotions. Some people may feel pride or excitement, while others feel anxious or uncertain about the topic. If you fall into the latter group, you’re not alone. But cosmetic surgery does not have to be intimidating. While all surgery comes with recovery time and some risks, you have many different options. At Rowley Plastic Surgery in Lubbock, you can achieve dramatic cosmetic changes without the anxiety that often comes with major surgery.
Small Changes, Big Improvements
One such procedure is liposuction. On the right patient, liposuction can have an incredible effect on body contour. It enhances your figure in such a natural way that your friends may assume you look slim because you’ve lost a few extra pounds. Have you ever heard that dynamite comes in small packages? Dr. Jane Rowley offers small cosmetic surgery procedures that can result in dynamite improvements to your physical appearance.
The benefits of a healthy diet and regular exercise seem to be never-ending, but they can’t always give you the figure you desire. It can be frustrating to spend time and money at the gym or on a home workout regimen, only to not get the slimming results you hoped for. You could never miss a workout, and you may even reach your goal weight; but what happens when the fat on your thighs just won’t budge? When nothing else seems to work, liposuction can be an effective way to finally blast that stubborn fat.
Whether you have one small location treated or multiple areas of your body, liposuction can drastically improve your self-esteem. Think of how a new top or fresh manicure can make your whole day. Now imagine having that feeling every day with your newfound confidence and sleek silhouette after having plastic surgery in Lubbock. It can be so freeing when you no longer feel the need for those expensive contouring underwear or other means of hiding fat. With liposuction, you have nothing to hide. Even if you are targeting one small area of your body with liposuction, it will still have an incredible impact on your confidence in your physical appearance. Watch the video below for more information on the procedure.
Are You a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
Liposuction is an attractive cosmetic option for people who struggle with stubborn areas of fat on their bodies. It is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the U.S. More than 265,000 Americans had the surgery in 2019, which is three percent more than in 2018. When you’re unhappy with your figure and you feel like diet and exercise just aren’t cutting it, now might be the right time to consider this popular plastic surgery in Lubbock. Liposuction might be a good option for you if:
- You are in good health
- You do not smoke (or can stop smoking before and after the procedure)
- You can maintain a stable, consistent weight
- You are within 30% of your ideal weight
- You have good skin elasticity
- You have reasonable expectations for results
Your plastic surgeon can evaluate your skin to determine how well it would respond to liposuction based on its elasticity. Consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon to learn how you could benefit from liposuction.
How Does Liposuction Work?
Liposuction is for people who have areas of stubborn fat on their bodies that resist continued efforts in diet and exercise. This plastic surgery in Lubbock targets these specific spots and gets rid of excess fat. For smaller areas of fat, liposuction is done during an outpatient appointment with the use of local anesthetics. Larger areas that cover more of the body may require general anesthesia. Small incisions are made, and a thin tube (called a cannula) is used to suction out the fat. The timeframe for recovery is fairly rapid as most people can return to work after 2-3 days; however, minor to moderate pain and swelling can last 4-6 weeks. For more details on what your liposuction experience might look like, watch the video below.
Your Options for Liposuction
We are often our own worst critics – when we look in the mirror, we notice even the smallest areas of our body and focus on our imperfections. Dr. Rowley tells all of her liposuction patients that although she can remove fat from anywhere on the body, it is what happens to the skin after the procedure that makes the greatest impact on the final results. Some areas of the body are more prone to poor skin elasticity and may appear saggy after fat is suctioned out. These areas typically include the inner thighs, abdomen, and the arms. If you struggle with persistent fat in these locations, talk to your doctor about other options that may work for you.
When used on the right patient in the right areas, liposuction is a great way to help improve the contour of the body. It is important for patients considering plastic surgery in Lubbock to remember that liposuction is not a weight loss surgery, but the changes it makes can have a significant impact on your overall look. Below are some of the areas that respond best to liposuction.
- Torso – Your body may be the type that holds onto pockets of fat around the back and upper torso. These fat pockets can be more visible when accentuated by bras or swimming suits. Rather than cover up with baggy shirts or long sleeves, consider liposuction as a way to trim the fat off of your torso.
- Jawline – Your jaw and neck can show signs of aging, and pockets of fat around the chin can give you the dreaded double chin. Dr. Jane Rowley has precision skills and tools to sculpt and slim your jawline, chin, and upper neck. This reshaping can take years off your appearance and give you an overall slimmer look.
- Breasts – A traditional breast reduction is the plastic surgery in Lubbock that removes breast tissue and fat to decrease your breast size. Liposuction can reduce breast weight and size by removing fatty tissue when only a small change is wanted with minimal scarring. Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon about your breasts’ skin elasticity to determine whether liposuction is the ideal method for reducing their size.
- Outer Thighs – With age or following pregnancy, fitting into your favorite pair of jeans can become something of a struggle. This is because the outer thighs are a common area for women to store extra fat. Even women with slim body frames can develop a thickness around their thighs and buttocks over time. With liposuction, the hips and thighs can be made to appear less wide.
- Male Chest – Just as women find new freedom and confidence with a breast reduction, men are finding the same satisfaction through the reshaping of their chests. Gynecomastia, or the development of breasts in a man, can stem from hormonal changes throughout life. Liposuction can offer men a firmer, trimmer chest and torso by reducing the appearance of female breasts.
Areas to Avoid
If your problem area is not included in the list above, don’t panic. Your surgeon should be able to communicate clearly with you about whether your needs can be met with liposuction, or perhaps through another type of plastic surgery in Lubbock. From over 20 years of experience, Dr. Rowley knows which areas will respond best to the procedure.
“Areas that do not do well are typically the inner thighs, the abdomen (especially after pregnancy), and the arms. It is important that patients do not view this as a weight loss tool. It is for localized areas of fat and it can give exceptional and dramatic results if used on the right patient in the right areas.”-Dr. Jane Rowley
Types of Liposuction
Just as you have choices for the areas you can target with liposuction, there are also options for the method your surgeon uses. For plastic surgery in Lubbock, techniques and technology are continually advancing and have made the procedure very safe and effective. The skill and experience of your plastic surgeon will make the biggest difference in the results of your treatment, not necessarily the technique you choose. Consider some of the most common forms of liposuction:
- Tumescent: During tumescent liposuction, your doctor will inject a fluid into the fat that is to be removed. The fluid helps minimize blood loss and discomfort and acts as a local anesthetic.
- Ultrasound Assisted: With a special cannula that vibrates, ultrasound energy is used to break up larger amounts of fat to liquefy them and make them easier to remove. This type of liposuction can be administered either above the skin or beneath it.
- Laser Assisted: Subcutaneous fat can also be liquefied through the use of laser technology. Some patients opt for this method because it is minimally invasive and it results in less swelling and bruising than traditional techniques.
- Suction Assisted: Your plastic surgeon may use a tool that resembles a vacuum to suck out unwanted fat.
It is important to keep in mind that no matter which liposuction technique you choose, none of them are meant to be a weight loss procedure. A talented plastic surgeon’s goal for liposuction patients is to sculpt and enhance the natural contours of the body. If the number on your scale is what you most want to change, it might be wise to consider other options for weight loss before you put on the finishing touches with liposuction.
More Reasons to Consider Liposuction
Having sweaty armpits is something that can cause embarrassment for even the most confident of people. It is estimated that three percent of Americans deal with axillary hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating from the armpits. If you have the misfortune of sweating through every shirt you own, liposuction plastic surgery in Lubbock may be able to offer relief by removing those troublesome sweat glands. With a quick office visit and almost zero recovery time, you could be on your way to feeling more self-assured – even when you raise your hand or wave to a friend.
In addition to cosmetic benefits, liposuction may also come with health advantages. For patients with high triglycerides, at least one study found the procedure to result in a 43 percent reduction of triglycerides in the bloodstream three months after treatment. The same study revealed a decrease in white blood cell count by 11 percent. Whether you have high triglycerides or not, liposuction will make you look slimmer, which may encourage you to get out and be more active. So, pick out some fresh workout gear to sport after your procedure, and enjoy showing off your newly toned figure at the gym.
Can the Fat Come Back?
Liposuction permanently gets rid of fat. However, it is possible for fat to return to areas that you have had treated. If you gain weight after your plastic surgery in Lubbock, your surgical results could diminish. Taking care of your body after plastic surgery is key to maintaining your new look. No special diets are required; just try to stick with a healthy lifestyle. Exercise regularly, eat healthy meals, and always drink plenty of water.
Liposuction for All
Whether you want to get rid of a small, localized deposit of fat or have multiple trouble spots across your body, your plastic surgeon can tailor your liposuction procedure to fit your exact needs. That’s part of the beauty of the surgery; it can sculpt, fine-tune, or makeover your entire figure. With the physical enhancement, patients also enjoy the soaring confidence that comes when they feel more comfortable in their own skin. If you are ready to toss out your tight contouring underwear and those baggy old shirts, consider how the many benefits of liposuction could change your life for the better.
The Trusted Name for Plastic Surgery in Lubbock
When you are ready to pursue liposuction, be sure to select a plastic surgeon that is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, like Dr. Jane Rowley. She has extensive experience with plastic surgery procedures and possesses the expertise her patients want. She carefully listens to her patients and explains each procedure thoroughly. You can have confidence in your new look, your plastic surgeon, and your entire journey through plastic surgery in Lubbock with Dr. Rowley. Call today to schedule your no-obligation consultation and to discover how liposuction could help you achieve your cosmetic goals.