Have you ever wondered why breast augmentation results can vary so much from one woman to the next? Some women end up with perfectly proportioned, natural looking results, while others have quite obviously added on to their busts. A lot of it has to do with the plastic surgeon you choose and their aesthetic style, but much of your breast enlargement outcome is in your own hands. If you have a certain result in mind for your procedure, there are some important decisions you will need to make to get the look you want. There may not be a right or wrong answer for your breast implant choices, but because your body has a unique shape and size, you may be choosing between what’s good, better, or best for you. Here are a few things you will want to put some thought into when it comes time to make the important decisions about your Lubbock breast implants.
Why Size Matters
Most people believe that getting breast implants in Lubbock is all about making the breasts as big as possible. Sometimes, it is. But for many modern women, the trend seems to be heading towards a smaller, more natural size. If you have thought about your breast enhancement results in terms of bra cup sizes, your plastic surgeon may encourage you to explain your goals in another way. Bra sizes are highly inconsistent between brands, and sometimes even vary within a single brand depending on the style. Cup size can be a decent starting point, but to convey your expectations more clearly to your doctor, you may want to bring photos of breasts that look like what you would want for yourself.
Some breast implant sizes simply will not work for certain body types. For example, if you are a petite woman with a narrow chest, you should not choose implants that are overly large. The outcome would look unnatural and disproportionate. The key is to select a size that fits your anatomy and complements your figure. Carefully consider your goals and how your breast implant size may fit in with your lifestyle. Your plastic surgeon will help guide you as you decide on the perfect size for your Lubbock breast implants.
Types of Breast Implants in Lubbock
Choosing the right breast implant for you is another important decision that might require some research. Women can choose from silicone gel, saline, or structured breast implants for their breast enhancement. Each type has unique advantages, and if you familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of each, you will be able to choose the one that suits you best.
- Silicone Gel Implants: Silicone gel breast implants account for the vast majority of breast enlargement procedures in the U.S. They are filled with a plastic or silicone gel and are popular because they look and feel more like natural breasts. The drawback lies in the potential for silent rupture, or leakage that goes unnoticed. The FDA recommends that women who have silicone gel implants get an MRI or ultrasound every other year to check for rupture.
- Saline Implants: Saline-filled implants are less popular, but come with none of the health concerns associated with silicone gel. Saline is a sterile saltwater solution that is easily absorbed by the body in case the implant leaks. Many women do not choose saline implants, however, because of their tendency to ripple and appear less natural.
- Structured Breast Implants: Dr. Jane Rowley offers IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implants for her patients who want beautiful results from saline-filled breast implants in Lubbock. With its aesthetic appeal and zero risk for silent rupture, the IDEAL IMPLANT combines the advantages of both silicone gel and saline implants for natural looking results.
Breast Implant Placement
Did you know that you have a choice about where your breast implants will be placed? Sometimes different plastic surgeons will have their favorite type of placement, but at the end of the day, it is up to you. That is not to say, however, that you shouldn’t take into consideration your doctor’s advice. After all, experienced surgeons should have an understanding of how each type of implant placement works with different body types. But, only you know your body and you are allowed to have a say when it comes to your Lubbock breast implants. Your plastic surgeon can help you determine whether placement over or under the chest muscle is best for you based on the size of implants you want and the outcome you wish to achieve. Consider the benefits and drawbacks of each type of placement.
Submuscular (Under the Muscle)
- Lower risk for rippling, capsular contracture, and “bottoming out” of implants
- Produces a natural looking outcome with a gradual slope of the chest
- Allows for more accuracy in mammograms
- Patients experience more discomfort during recovery
- Longer recovery period
- Some patients notice implant distortion with chest muscle flexing
Subglandular (Over the Muscle)
- Slightly shorter surgery time
- Easier recovery with less pain
- No distortion of breast implants when chest muscles are used
- Can reduce mammogram accuracy
- Produces a less natural, more rounded appearance
- Higher risk for rippling, capsular contracture, and “bottoming out”
Your Trusted Surgeon for Breast Implants in Lubbock
Dr. Jane Rowley knows your breast augmentation is a life-changing journey, and she wants to help you make educated decisions so you will love your results. When it comes to choosing a size, an implant type, and implant placement, she is here to guide you every step of the way so you can create a look that is all your own. Dr. Rowley has over 20 years of experience with Lubbock breast implants. If you are ready to take the next step toward feeling more confident in your appearance, contact our office today to schedule a no-obligation consultation.