Your Options for a Tummy Tuck in Lubbock
Abdominoplasty, better known as tummy tuck surgery, is becoming more and more common among women. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 129,753 tummy tucks were performed in 2017, a two percent increase from the previous year. The surgery removes excess skin and tightens muscles along the abdominal wall. It creates a smoother, firmer abdomen and improves self-image. A tummy tuck will not make you lose a large of weight, but it will tone up and flatten your midsection.
The Right Candidate
Diet and exercise can help you maintain a healthy weight, but sometimes they do not have much of an effect on a waist with flabby skin. People who have loose skin after pregnancy or who have lost a drastic amount of weight can benefit from getting a tummy tuck in Lubbock. The ideal tummy tuck candidate also:
- Is in good health
- Does not smoke or use nicotine
- Has realistic expectations
- Can maintain a healthy, consistent weight
Tummy Tuck Surgery Options
When you undergo a tummy tuck in Lubbock, your abdominal muscles will be repaired and tightened by your plastic surgeon. The procedure takes about two hours and requires a general anesthetic. A horizontal incision is made just above the bikini line. The more excess skin you have, the longer the incision will need to be. Several different surgical options are available.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: this method is for those with minimal sagging skin that is located mostly under the belly button. It requires an incision that is only a few inches long and corrects the pooch that many women have after bearing children. The navel usually does not need to be moved with this surgery.
- Standard Tummy Tuck: a regular tummy tuck in Lubbock removes more skin and fat than the mini version. It is a more involved procedure and results in a scar that reaches from hip to hip. The belly button will be repositioned by your surgeon to keep the tummy’s natural look.
- Extended Tummy Tuck: this version is for patients whose fat and loose skin extends from the belly to the sides of the abdomen. Liposuction is often done together with this procedure to achieve better body contour. The scar is longer than that of a standard tummy tuck, but it’s a small price to pay for such dramatic results.
What to Expect for Recovery
Most tummy tuck patients can go home within several hours after their surgery, but those undergoing the extended version may need to stay overnight for observation. Small drain tubes will likely be placed to help rid the body of extra fluid buildup. Compression garments will help with swelling. While resting during recovery is important, your doctor may encourage you to walk or move around to improve circulation. Expect to take 2-3 weeks off work and allow 6-8 weeks for your full recovery.
If you are thinking about a tummy tuck in Lubbock, these factors deserve your consideration:
- Whether you fit the profile of a good tummy tuck candidate
- What type of tummy tuck best suits your needs
- Your plans for taking time off work for recovery
For more information about which tummy tuck procedure might be right for you, call our office today to schedule a no-obligation consultation.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!