While it’s more fun to focus on the perks of plastic surgery, it is also important to remember that there are always risks associated with any kind of surgery, even when it’s for cosmetic reasons. Dr. Jane Rowley wants you to experience all of the benefits that you hope to gain from your procedure in her Lubbock office, but it is most important to her that you are well informed and that you don’t take any unnecessary risks. Your health and well-being are the highest priority, so Dr. Rowley will always ensure each surgery is handled with the utmost care. Here are the most common risks associated with plastic surgery.
Top Risks of Cosmetic Surgery
- Scarring: Even with the best plastic surgeon, Lubbock patients should expect to see some degree of scarring after their procedure. For surgeries like a tummy tuck, Dr. Rowley will minimize the visibility of scarring through strategic placement and smaller incisions. Given proper care and time to heal, scars generally fade and are greatly outweighed by the cosmetic enhancement.
- Blood Loss: Like scarring, this is also a natural occurrence during surgery; however, when excessive, blood loss can lead to a drop in blood pressure. Both excessive bleeding during the procedure and internal bleeding during recovery can have serious consequences.
- Infection: It is in your best interest to take advantage of having the best plastic surgeon in Lubbock by following her orders exactly. Dr. Rowley stresses to her patients the importance of following her instructions so they can steer clear of the risk for infection. She prescribes careful post-surgical steps to reduce the chance for infection, but it can still occur for some patients and can sometimes require antibiotics.
- Hematoma: Unlike blood loss, this happens when blood remains under the skin but pools together, resembling a large bruise. If severe, an additional operation may be needed to drain the blood.
- Anesthesia Complications: Anesthesia is used to help you become unconscious and unaware of the surgery and pain during the procedure. This process is used for many medical procedures, but always has inherent risks including waking up confused or disoriented, waking up with a shivering effect, or sometimes even waking up mid-surgery. More serious but less common complications from anesthesia include lung infections, stroke, or heart attack.
- Dissatisfaction: Most people are very satisfied with their appearance after cosmetic surgery; however, it is always a risk that you will not be completely happy with the final results. As the best plastic surgeon in Lubbock, Dr. Rowley always consults carefully with her patients so she can help them achieve the look they desire. She takes the time to create a realistic set of expectations for every procedure so that there are no unhappy surprises after surgery.
- Nerve Damage: Some plastic surgery procedures can leave numbness and tingling or an entire loss of sensation. Some women experience a loss of nipple sensation following breast augmentation surgery.
How You Can Reduce Risks
With the best plastic surgeon in Lubbock, all of the procedures we offer at Rowley Plastic Surgery are approved and safe, but surgery in general comes with certain risks.The degree of risk is different for every patient, because your health plays an important role in the success of your surgery. Maintaining healthy habits like eating right and getting regular exercise can go a long way towards reducing your chances of experiencing plastic surgery complications. People who are ill or have poor nutritional habits may not make the best candidates for cosmetic procedures.
Break Up With Nicotine
If you are considering plastic surgery and you smoke, the best thing you can do is to stop now. Most surgeons require their patients to stop the use of nicotine in all forms several weeks prior to and following their procedure. Nicotine inhibits blood circulation and can cause surgical wounds to heal poorly. If you smoke, talk to your doctor about creating a plan to quit so you can not only pursue your cosmetic procedure, but also enjoy a much healthier life.
Choosing the Best Plastic Surgeon in Lubbock
The most important thing you can do to mitigate your surgical risks is to select a qualified and experienced doctor. Dr. Jane Rowley and other board-certified surgeons across the country take the necessary precautions to make plastic surgery as safe as possible. It is important, however, that you understand that plastic surgery is a serious medical operation and a procedure like a tummy tuck is clearly riskier for your body than a simple manicure. It’s essential to be informed, talk to your doctor, and to choose the best plastic surgeon in Lubbock, Dr. Jane Rowley.
Selecting the right surgeon is key to your plastic surgery success. Whether it’s reconstructive or cosmetic, ear pinning or a breast reduction, you want to make sure it’s done right by a qualified surgeon. How do you know you’re selecting the best plastic surgeon for the job? Here are the two most important questions you can ask.
Are They Board-Certified?
Licensing and board certification are not the same thing. While all medical doctors must be licensed to practice in the United States, board certification is voluntary and proves a surgeon passed rigorous testing, peer evaluation, and continuing education specific to their specialty. These credentials are becoming even more important in an ever-changing medical field. To find the best plastic surgeon, Lubbock patients should limit their search to doctors who are not only licensed but are also board-certified.
How Much Experience Do They Have?
Licenses and certifications only get a surgeon so far. To be the best plastic surgeon in Lubbock, they need a level of experience that gives them knowledge and insight that new surgeons do not have. How much practice do they have in the field? How much experience do they have with the type of procedure you need? When it comes to handling a surgical procedure that permanently changes the way you look, nothing can replace experience. You don’t want to be your doctor’s guinea pig.
Dr. Rowley has more than two decades of plastic surgery experience under her belt. She is second only to her father on the list of experienced plastic surgeons in the Lubbock area. In addition to 20 years of practice, she went above and beyond in her training by completing an optional, full general-surgery residency, including a full year of surgical research and six months of training in the UK. Better training and more experience make her the best plastic surgeon Lubbock has to offer. Because she went the extra mile fine-tuning her training and expanding her experience, Dr. Rowley’s patients reap the benefits in their plastic surgery results.
Trust in Our Training and Have Confidence in Yourself
The safety and health of her patients is of the highest priority to Dr. Rowley and her staff. While it is important to understand the risks of plastic surgery, you can rest assured that you are in the best possible care with Rowley Plastic Surgery. Regardless of what type of cosmetic procedure you are considering, you deserve an experienced, board-certified surgeon to give you the best chance of achieving the results you want. Don’t settle for less. With over 20 years of experience and countless happy patients, Dr. Jane Rowley is the best plastic surgeon in Lubbock. Call our office for a no-obligation consultation today.