If you are serious about breast augmentation surgery, you have probably spent some time imagining what your life will be like with your new breasts. It’s exciting to think of the flattering new clothes you’ll wear and the confidence you will feel wearing them. There is no doubt you will look great, but many women still want to preserve the natural feel of their real breasts. Your breast augmentation outcome depends on several variables. By clearly communicating your expectations with your plastic surgeon, you can achieve the look and feel you desire.
Will They Feel Fake?
Breasts with implants feel different than those without. But “different” does not have to mean the same thing as fake. In the past, some breast implants did look and feel fake because they were too big and perfectly round. Progress in technology and surgical techniques have made achieving a more natural, feminine look much more of a reality. An experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon can help you select the right options for your implants that will create a tailored fit for your body.
Variables That Matter
At your breast augmentation consultation, you should explore in depth all the factors that contribute to the results of your breast implants. Here’s a look at some of the variables that impact your outcome.
- Your Plastic Surgeon: choosing an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery makes all the difference in your breast augmentation results. These top-tier surgeons have been through the proper training and had the education they need to perform your procedure safely.
- Implant Type: your implants will be filled with either saline or silicone gel. Silicone gel implants usually feel softer, like a real breast, because of the viscosity of the gel. Saline-filled implants lack the structure and firmness necessary to make them feel natural and are susceptible to wrinkling and rippling.
- Implant Location: implants can be placed over or under the chest muscles. Sub-muscular placement tends to look more realistic because the overlying tissue creates a more natural slope to the breast. However, if you lack sufficient breast tissue to support the implants, they may need to go over the muscle (which isn’t a bad thing).
- Implant Size: choosing the right size for the unique shape of your body is critical when a natural look is important to you. Thinner women with small breasts may want to opt for medium-sized implants. Trying on different implants at your consultation will help you get a feel for what size suits your needs.
What You Can Do
Everyone loves a good DIY solution, but before you try anything on your own, make sure to get the OK from your doctor. One thing some surgeons recommend to do at home to make your breast implants feel softer and more natural is to massage them. Gently rubbing the implants will help create a soft capsule of scar tissue around them. This allows the breasts to move in a more naturally, aids in the healing of the incision, and prevents the formation of a hard capsule around the implant. Two to three times a day, gently massage the breast in a circular motion to soften and stretch the area of the breast implant. Talk to your doctor about the specifics to get a better idea of what to do and how massage helps.
How Breast Implants Affect Men
The jury is out on whether most men like breast implants; preferences vary widely. But if we are to take any hint from the way women are portrayed in the media, we can assume a good portion of men do like them. It is not uncommon for men to be pleased with their partner’s new breasts because of the way it boosts her self-image. When a woman is happy with the way she looks, it builds her confidence in almost every aspect of her life. The important thing is not to dwell on what others will think about the choices we make with our bodies. While it is healthy to include your partner in your plastic surgery journey, the ultimate decision is up to you.
Advancements in breast augmentation techniques and technology have made it possible for women to enjoy enhanced breasts that do not feel fake. If you want your breast implants to have that natural look and feel, you should consider these important factors:
- Your plastic surgeon’s training and experience – make sure they are board-certified.
- Implant type, location, and size – spend time discussing these options with your doctor.
- Implant massage – massage could help soften the feel of your implants. Make sure to clear this with your doctor first.
- Include your partner – talking through decisions together can help, but the final say should be yours.