Comparing Breast Augmentation to a Breast Lift in Lubbock
Women’s breasts go through many changes over different periods in their lives. Your favorite bras in college may not even come close to fitting you now. With changes in hormones, weight fluctuations, and the changes that occur with pregnancy and breastfeeding, it is no surprise that so many women seek plastic surgery to correct breast issues. If you find yourself unhappy with the appearance of your breasts, breast augmentation or a breast lift in Lubbock may be able to help.
The two surgeries are very different and are tailored to address unique problems. It is not always easy to tell which procedure would benefit you the most. Breast augmentation adds volume to the breasts through the insertion of implants, and a breast lift (or mastopexy) lifts sagging breasts with the removal of extra skin and tissue. Discuss your concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon to determine which breast surgery would give you the best results.
If you feel self-conscious about having small, disproportionate, or asymmetrical breasts, breast augmentation is the most effective way to solve the problem. In no way is breast augmentation a “one size fits all” procedure; your surgeon can help you create the look you want by giving you guidance about your choices for the specifics of your implants and surgery. One of the main decisions you will need to make is which type of implant you want. Silicone gel and saline implants are available and each have their pros and cons.
- Silicone Gel – Implants filled with silicone gel are a popular choice for women who want natural-feeling results. The gel feels similar to real breast tissue because it is more viscous than saline. Silicone gel implants do pose the risk of “silent rupture” because a leak is usually only detectable by an MRI.
- Saline – Implants filled with saline offer peace of mind. If they were to rupture, it would be immediately obvious and you could have the implant replaced right away. Saline can be easily absorbed by the body. These implants have the potential to show rippling through thin skin. The new IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implants are another option; its filled with saline, for peace of mind, but has internal structures that give it a more natural feel without the worry of silicone gel.
Surgical Options for Breast Augmentation
Your decisions for breast augmentation don’t end with choosing a type of implant. After a physical exam, your plastic surgeon be able to recommend options for your incision as well as for the exact placement of the implant. Incision locations for breast implants in Lubbock include:
- Under the breast crease
- Around the perimeter of the areola
- In the navel
- In the underarm area
Breast implants can be placed either under the chest muscle or over it. Under the muscle, or submuscular placement, lifts the muscle and creates a slope to the top of the breast, giving it a more natural look. Subglandular placement, or over the muscle, gives the breast a more round shape and can speed up recovery time. Your surgeon can advise you as to which placement will help you achieve your desired outcome.
When to Consider a Breast Lift in Lubbock
A breast lift, or mastopexy, is for women who have significant sagging of the breasts. If aging, gravity, or breastfeeding have taken a toll on your breasts, a lift can correct the problems. Here are a few symptoms that a candidate for a breast lift in Lubbock may have:
- Sagging or drooping of the breasts
- Tubular, pendulous, or flat breasts
- Downward pointing nipples
- Stretched nipples or areolae
- Nipples that fall below the breast crease
Breast Lift Surgery
The scars left from a breast lift are more significant than those from breast augmentation. During a breast lift procedure, skin and tissue are removed to lift the breast to a higher position. The nipple and areola is moved up as well. Sagging is corrected and the breasts end up having more forward projection. Unlike breast implants, a lift will not make the breasts bigger; although it may provide more cleavage. Incisions can be made:
- Around the outer edge of the areola
- Vertically from the breast crease to the nipple
- In the breast crease
Results from Mastopexy
Breast lift surgery will make your breasts look younger and perkier. The nipple will point forward, instead of toward the floor. If an increase in size is something you want as well, a lift can be combined with breast implants in Lubbock during the same surgery. Results from mastopexy are not necessarily permanent, as gravity will continue to work on your body over the course of your life.
There are many decisions to be made when you are considering surgery to improve the look of your breasts with either breast augmentation or a breast lift in Lubbock. Choosing the right board-certified plastic surgeon is the most important thing you can do. Dr. Jane Rowley is the most experienced plastic surgeon in Lubbock with over two decades of experience. Call today to schedule your no-obligation consultation.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!