As you consider breast reduction surgery, you may spend a lot of time researching and thinking about the surgery. Being an educated patient is important, so keep up that surgery prep! It’s just as important to prepare for life after the surgery. What will life be like a year after your breast reduction?
- Sensation: Lubbock patients experience varying degrees of sensation in their nipples and breasts. Some women lose their sensation due to surgery and then recover it within a year or longer; however, some women don’t get sensation back, and others never lose it.
- Scars: Incisions are part of surgery, and scars are part of incisions. Talk to the experts in our Lubbock office to discuss great options for minimizing scars.
- Change in Figure: Even though your breasts are the only part of your body undergoing surgery, you may see your entire figure differently. The way your clothes fit will change, so you may find that your waist size also looks differently in certain articles of clothing.
- Back Pain: One of the greatest motivators for a breast reduction is the back pain caused by the weight of large breasts. You should feel significant relief from your back pain, although it might not go away entirely. For those who still experience pain, a chiropractor, yoga, or stretching may help.
- Shape: Immediately following your recovery you may see your breasts as overly round and almost fake looking, but over time your breasts will settle to a more comfortable, natural look.
- Bras: After leaving the Lubbock office you may want a surgical bra for use during recovery. Most women feel they can return to regular bras after a month post-surgery, but with tender breasts, it would be best to transition to wire-free sports bras first. Your breast size is likely to continue to change over the year following your breast reduction, so if you’re a frugal shopper, you may want to purchase modestly priced bras for the first year and then invest in some high-quality bras after your breasts have settled into a set size and shape.
Above all, plan on enjoying your new body! It may take some getting used to, but breast reduction patients are some of the happiest clients at Rowley Plastic Surgery. Call Dr. Jane Rowley today for a zero obligation consultation for your breast reduction.